Sunday, December 1, 2013

BEST EVER DEEP DISH PECAN PIE


I gave my husband about 10 options for Thanksgiving dessert. He chooses pecan pie every time as he did this year. I have to admit, pecan pie is one of my favorites too, so I've always wanted to have a great pecan pie recipe. I also really like a pecan pie that is FULL of pecans.

That is why I usually make a deep dish pie so that I can pack it full of pecans. This recipe is sweet, delicious and loaded with pecans. Just what every good pecan pie should be.

As you can see below, we had three desserts going on at once. It was a crazy dessert making day and that meant I didn't get pictures of the making part. But the recipe is pretty easy to follow. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. 

Sour cherry crumble, pumpkin pie crisp and the glorious pecan all baking at once.
Dessert heaven in the oven!
Oh the deliciousness of this pie. Mmmmmm


My husband grabbed a picture of me with his favorite pie. 


This is a photo fail. I try to always grab delicious looking pictures of my food. But pecan pie is one of those pies that is impossible to cut and photograph. You can't ever cut it straight and end up scooping pecans out of the pie plate and just spoon them on. So go ahead and cut, spoon, scoop - whatever you need to do to get this pie in your mouth!!
It's delicious!!
Deep Dish Pecan Pie
Created 11/28/13

Ingedients
For the pie crust
8 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
2 tablespoons cold vegetable shortening
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt

For the pecan filling
1 1/2 cups light corn syrup
6 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup light brown sugar (not packed)
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 eggs, beaten
3 cups pecan halves (not pieces)

Instructions
For the pie crust, whisk together flour and salt in a bowl. Blend in the butter and shortening with a pasty blender or a fork until crumbly. It should resemble fine pieces of grain. Sprinkle with 4–5 tablespoons ice water and toss lightly. Divide the dough evenly and form into 2 disks. Don’t overhandle. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill for at least an hour.
Roll out one ball of dough on a lightly floured surface into an 1/8-inch-thick round. Roll dough loosely around the rolling pin and place in an 8-inch pie pan. Lightly press dough into the pan. Trim the excess dough from the edge with a sharp knife. Use your thumb and fore finger to crimp the edges. Repeat with remaining dough and the second pie pan.

For the pecan filling, preheat oven to 350°. Mix together the corn syrup, melted butter, and brown sugar in a large bowl until the sugar has dissolved. Add the salt, vanilla, and eggs, mixing well after each addition.
Arrange 1 1/2 cups of the pecans right side up in each unbaked pie shell, then gently pour in the filling. The pecans will float to the top. Bake for 40–45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool to room temperature.

I have made this recipe for quite some time now, but don't know where it came from or who to credit for it. If you know where it came from, please let me know, I'd like to credit the creator of this incredible pie. 


No comments:

Post a Comment