Monday, December 2, 2013

CREAMY SPAGHETTI SQUASH AND SWEET POTATO SOUP WITH GARAM MASALA

It's cold outside and soup is on my mind...
Sometimes I buy squash when I am grocery shopping, just because. I don't have a plan for it, but I know I'll find something to make with it because I love it so much.
Thanksgiving is done and it's time to get back on track. I eat healthy soups when I'm really trying to stay on track because it's low in calories and full of veggies, plus it's delicious!!

This is my fall inspired Spaghetti Squash and sweet potato soup.


This was inspired by the acorn squash soup I made a few weeks ago. You can find it here: Acorn Squash Soup. It also uses Garam Masala seasoning. It's one of my favorites right now.

Spaghetti Squash is typically used as a type of noodle since it resembles spaghetti when you cook it and remove the flesh with a fork. However, if you cook it very soft and just cube it, it really acts like any other type of squash. The only thing about spaghetti squash is that it doesn't have much flavor. It is really good at taking on whatever flavor you give it, so I like using it to add body to my soup without a distinct flavor, so I can play around with seasonings and other veggies.

Prick squash with knife and microwave for 10 minutes or until very soft.
Repeat with sweet potato, but only cook 5-6 minutes. 

Heat oil and sauté onions

Add apples, carrots, garlic and sauté until soft. 


Cut squash lengthwise and scoop out seeds. 

I love microwaving squash, it makes the skin just lift right off. 

You cal slice each half then run a knife under the flesh to completely remove skin. 

Cube and add to pot


Repeat with sweet potato


Add to pot with pumpkin puree and chicken stock. 

Stir and simmer for 15 minutes. 

I LOVE the immersion blender. I also like to puree the veggies before I add all the liquid. I feel like I can get to everything easier and don't have to chase it around the pot so much. 

Keep going until it's nice and smooth. 

Add coconut milk and seasonings and puree again to blend. Simmer another 10 minutes or so. 

Serve it up hot and enjoy!! 

Creamy Spaghetti Squash and Sweet Potato Soup

Ingredients
2T Olive or Coconut Oil
1 Large spaghetti squash, cooked, cubed and peeled
1 Sweet potato, cooked, peeled and cubed
1 Medium yellow onion, chopped
1 Fuji apple, peeled and chopped
3 Cloves garlic, minced
2 Carrots, chopped
1 Cup pumpkin puree
32 Ounces low sodium chicken or veggie stock
3 Cups water
1 1/2 cup unsweetened Coconut milk
3 tsp Garam Masala
1 tsp Ginger
1/2 tsp Curry powder
1/2 tsp Allspice
1/2 tsp Coriander

Directions
Prick spaghetti squash with knife and microwave for 10 minutes. Cool, peel and cube.
Repeat with sweet potato, but cook for only 5-6 minutes.
In a stock pot, heat oil and sauté onions, garlic and carrots until soft. Add squash, apple, sweet potato and pumpkin with chicken stock. Simmer for 15 minutes until carrots are soft.
Using an immersion blender or standard blender, puree until smooth
Add coconut milk and spices. Simmer for additional 10 minutes.

Serve and enjoy!!

All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment