Wednesday, September 21, 2011

HARD BOILED EGGS

Ever wonder, "What's the best way to boil eggs?" I've asked that question when making deviled eggs or egg salad sandwiches. I always did it different and therefore had different results. Sometimes they were great, sometimes the yolks came out grey, sometimes the shell would stick so bad, I'd just chuck them into the trash. Grrrrrrrrr.  The quest for the perfect boiled is was on! I consulted many websites, made different kinds and EUREKA!!! I found the one that works the best, courtesy of Alton Brown from the Food Network.


Put your eggs from the fridge directly into the pan BEFORE you put the water in. This keeps from having to drop them in and cause tiny cracks.


Add water, just enough to completely cover the eggs.

Put on the stove on HIGH heat.

Just when it starts to boil, before the eggs start jumping around causing more cracks, remove from the heat.

Cover tightly.

Let sit for 8-12 minutes, depending on how you like your eggs. I like 10 minutes.
When the timer goes off, put them in the sink and run cold water over them for a minute or two.

I want the cooking to stop, so I sometimes even put ice in the water to cool them off.

After they are cooled off, peel the eggs under running water. It helps life off the shell.


Then your eggs are ready for whatever you want to make with them, or just eat them like this! Yum!

HARD BOILED EGGS
Alton Brown
Directions:

  1. Put the number of eggs you want to cook in cold water in a pan.
  2. Bring to a boil.
  3. Cover and remove from heat.
  4. Let sit 8-12 minutes depending on how soft you want the yolk.
  5. Take pan and place in sink. Run cold water over eggs to cool.
  6. Peel immediately under cool running water.


 



2 comments:

  1. I've always wondered what temperature to boil them at?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad this recipe helped. It helped me too. I've tried a bunch of different ways to cook them and this one always works great! Thanks for checking out my blog.

    ReplyDelete