Tuesday, November 26, 2013

CANDIED SWEET POTATOES WITH PECANS

Sweet and saucy made-from-scratch sweet potatoes with a pecan crumble and marshmallow topping. What could be better than that!!

I make a basic whipped sweet potato back every single year and I have done so since my daughter was little, she's almost 20 now. As a rule, I try to avoid things in cans these days and wanted to change this up a bit. I may have to make the others too this year, just in case, but I think she is going to love these, I know I do!  and yes, I realize these have marshmallows. Baby steps people, baby steps. My daughter can only handle so much change at one time!! :-)


I have been searching for a recipe that called my name and this one got my attention. I actually saw it on The Chew TV show and these were made by Carla Hall. I've changed it a little bit as I always do. I don't think I can actually follow a recipe just as it is, I always have to change things and make it my own. This recipe is MOSTLY hers with a few tweaks of my own. I also omitted the bourbon. Again, a little change is good, a big change would overwhelm my family. Keeping it simple here.

These are simple to make and I think they are better than the ones I've made for 20 years, but we will have to wait and see if they get the stamp of approval from the family. I'll post an update when I know.

Choose about 4 pounds of sweet potatoes, all roughly the same size. 

Place them in a pot of water, being sure they are fully covered. I had this pot already heating up, but it wasn't boiling yet, which is fine. Once it gets to a full boil, reduce heat to medium and cook for 25 minutes. Or until a fork test tell you they are soft. You don't want them TOO soft, but slightly done. 

Then remove them from the water and allow them to cool completely. I used a cooling rack, but you can just put them in a strainer or a bowl too. 

After they have cooled. Peel and slice 1/4" thick. Place in casserole dish. 

Put all remaining ingredients in sauce pan

Bring to a boil, reduce to medium and cook for an additional 2 minutes. 

Meanwhile, rough chop the pecans

Once the glaze is cooked, pour it evenly over sweet potatoes. 

We like ours super sweet in our house, but you can see here that I went a little overboard with the glaze. They don't need to be drowning in it... but make them to your taste. 

Add marshmallows. The recipe calls for 2 cups, but this is more like 4. 

Add the pecans. 

Mmmmmmm....

Bake at 350 degrees and all the magic happens. These browned up nicely while on the top rack. If you have them lower in the oven or they don't brown as you would like, just pop them under the broiler for a couple of minutes. 



I wish you could smell how awesome these smell!! Ooey Gooey sweet goodness. I hope you enjoy them!!
Candied Sweet Potatoes with Pecans

Ingredients
4 pounds Sweet Potatoes (all about the same size)
5 tablespoons Butter
2/3 cup Brown Sugar
1/2 cup Orange Juice
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon Ginger
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/4 cup Bourbon (optional)
2 cups Mini Marshmallows
1/2 cup Pecan pieces

Directions
Cover potatoes with water, and add enough salt to water so it tastes like the sea. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes or until just tender. Drain and let potatoes cool.
When cooled, peel and cut potatoes into 1/4-inch thick rounds. Layer potatoes in greased baking dish.
In small saucepan, combine butter, brown sugar, orange juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, salt, and bourbon. Bring mixture to a boil and cook for about 2 minutes. Pour over potatoes.
Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until brown. Increase temperature to 500 degrees F and top with mini marshmallows and pecans. Cook for 5 minutes or until pecans and marshmallows are lightly browned. 

Helpful Tip:

1. Pop this dish under the broiler if you need to brown the marshmallows more. 






No comments:

Post a Comment