The flavors of fall just call my name. I've been thinking about a new soup that I wanted to make that involved Garam Masala. Garam Masala is a traditional Indian seasoning blend that is used to make many Indian dishes including curry sauces, which I LOVE! Garam Masala is a spice blend mainly made up of Coriander, Black Pepper, Cumin, Cardamom and Cinnamon.I really needed to find some things to make with Garam Masala because I bought some of it the other day at the store, and when I came home to put it in the spice cabinet, I saw I already had another!! I guess it's been on my mind for a while. So, today was the day for some soup with Garam Masala!
I've been in the store buying squash because it looked good, not even knowing what I was going to do with it. So, I decided to put a few of them together and see what I could come up with. It was AMAZING!
If you are at all a fan of sweet/spicy and the flavors of fall, you must try this soup.
Fall Squash and Sweet Potato Soup
Ingredients
1-3lb acorn squash, halved and seeded
1 large butternut squash, halved and seeded
2 sweet potatoes, halved
2 carrots, sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 teaspoon garam masala
¾ teaspoon ground ginger
32 oz vegetable or chicken broth
2 cups water
1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
salt
pepper
1T olive oil
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place acorn squash, butternut
squash and sweet potatoes in glass baking dishes with cut side down. Add about
1/2 inch of water and bake uncovered until all are fork tender (45 minutes or
so). Remove and let cool, do not remove any remaining water, the squash will
soak it up.
After squash has cooled, scrape or peel to remove all of the
cooked squash, set aside.
In a stock pot, heat olive oil and cook onions and carrots
until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
Add stock and water and continue to cook until carrots are
softened, about 20 minutes. (they will still be a bit firm)
Add squash to stock pot and seasonings. Continue to cook on
low/medium for another 15-20 minutes. Puree using an immersion blender or
running through blender in batches.
Add coconut milk and serve.


No comments:
Post a Comment