Monday, December 31, 2012

GLUTEN FREE CHOCOLATE CREAM CUPCAKES


I am very lucky in the food department. I don't have any allergies or sensitivity to any certain types of foods. However, I know that is not the case for many and a very good friend of mine suffers from Celiac. I had never even heard of this disease before. Now that I know about it, I am so glad there are so many options these days for gluten free diets. I have experimented with several recipes to try to make a delicious meal or desert for her so she doesn't miss her gluten and these are another winner.


The key is really in the flour. I have tried tons of recipes! Some using sorghum, coconut, rice, Xanthum gum, you name it! There are tons of gluten free options out there. However, I never really found one combination of ingredients that was a slam dunk in all applications. Until I had a cupcake bakery. I really had to get the gluten free options down as customers asked for them constantly. So, I researched the all purpose gluten free flour market. I tried several brands and I found a winner. I'm not a spokesperson and have nothing to do with the company, I just know this flour works wonders for me. It is called Tom Sawyer flour. At the time I ordered it last, they were only selling to businesses, so not sure if they have changed their policy, but if you are looking for the best all purpose GF flour, this is the one

Now to the cupcakes. There are so many combinations of chocolate/chocolate, chocolate/vanilla, vanilla/chocolate, etc., but again this was a favorite at my bakery. An extreme chocolate cupcake with a classic cream cheese frosting. On occasion, I even filled the cupcake with a marshmallow filling, extra divine!

I have made these in several sizes: mini, standard and the ultimate JUMBO!


Here is my gluten free version of the classic chocolate cream cupcake.


Gluten Free Chocolate Bliss Cake            
Yield - about 16

Dry Ingredients
1 cups white sugar
3/4 cup + 2 T gluten free flour (I use Tom Sawyer)
1/4 cup + 2T unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Wet Ingredients
1 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup boiling water

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350. (I use the convection setting, but standard will work also)
  2. In a medium bowl, stir together the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla, mix for 3 minutes with an electric mixer. Stir in the boiling water by hand.
  3. Scoop with SCANT 3 into muffin pan. (these rise more than traditional)
  4. Put in center rack of oven.
  5. Rotate at 8.
  6. Check for doneness at 15-17.
Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan for 2 or 3 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely. Then frost. 
These are frosted with a traditional cream cheese frosting. 
You can view the step by step frosting instructions and pictures here: Cream cheese Frosting

No comments:

Post a Comment