I
love a good meatloaf! This is not your simple 5 ingredient meatloaf,
but most of these ingredients you should have in your pantry. It's a few
more steps, but well worth it! I love serving this with a cheesy
polenta or mashed potatoes and asparagus or broccoli. A great homestyle
recipe that your family will love! ![]() |
| Here's everything you'll need to make your yummy meatloaf! |
![]() |
| Make the glaze with the ketchup, vinegar, cumin Worcestershire, hot sauce and honey and set aside. Add a couple extra dashes of hot sauce is you like things spicy! |
![]() |
| Pulse the bread slices in the food processor until they are all crumbs. |
![]() |
| Dice the veggies, mmmmm! I love garlic and onions and peppers, oh my! |
![]() |
| Saute in a little olive oil to soften, 4-5 minutes. |
![]() |
| They should look like this when you're done. |
![]() |
| Mix together all of the wet ingredients. |
![]() |
| Whisk away until it becomes this gooey brown color. |
![]() |
| Ground Beef. You can also use turkey or really go crazy with some italian sausage or ground pork. |
![]() |
| Add the bread crumbs and seasonings. |
![]() |
| Pour the wet ingredients and start mixing! I'm not going to show it, but I use my hands during this part... You can also use a big spoon or spatula. |
![]() |
| Mix until it looks like this. |
![]() |
| Put into a loaf pan. This is a meatloaf pan that has a top pan with holes and a bottom pan for catching drippings. |
![]() |
| Because I'm crazy about the details, I smoooooth mine out with a spatula. |
![]() |
| Time to bake! 350 degrees for about an hour. It will smell so yummy! When it's done pour the glaze over it and serve! I make extra glaze so I can pour some on each piece I serve also. |
![]() | |||
| A great family meal! ENJOY!! |
1/2 cup Ketchup
1 T Cider vinegar
1 tsp Ground cumin
Dash Worcestershire Sauce
Dash Hot pepper sauce
1 T Honey
Meatloaf
1 1/2 pound ground chuck; (85 percent lean)
3 slices bread (pulse bread in food processor) (about 1 cup)
1/2 small red bell pepper
1 small sweet onion
1 clove garlic
2 T molasses
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Black Pepper
1/8 tsp Celery salt
1/8 tsp Dry mustard
1 large egg
1 T Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/3 cup fresh parsley
Directions
For the glaze, combine the ketchup, vinegar, cumin,
Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce and honey, set aside.
Place oven rack to middle position; heat oven to
350 degrees F. Heat butter in 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until
foaming; add onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until
softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about
1 minute. Transfer mixture to small bowl, set aside to cool.
In a small bowl, whisk egg with molasses, salt,
pepper, celery salt, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, 1/4 cup of the evaporated
milk and 1/2 the glaze mixture, until combined. Gently break-up ground beef in
a large bowl. Add bread crumbs, parsley and cooked onion, bell pepper and
garlic. Pour egg mixture over meat mixture and mix gently with hands until
thoroughly combined, about 1 minute. If mixture sticks to bowl, add additional
evaporated milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, until mixture doesn't stick. Be
careful not to overmix, and avoid squeezing the meat. Transfer meat mixture
onto the center of a shallow parchment paper-lined baking sheet or pan and form
into a 9- by 5-inch loaf shape, avoiding air pockets. Smooth top and edges of
meat loaf with moistened spatula. Bake at 350 degrees F until meatloaf is to
medium doneness, an instant-read thermometer inserted into center of loaf reads
155-160 degrees F, about 55 to 65 minutes. Brush the remaining glaze onto the
meatloaf after it has been cooking for about 10 minutes. Remove from oven, let
stand 15 minutes. Transfer to a platter, and cut into thick slices.
Notes
A second batch of glaze, simmered over medium heat
until thick and syrupy, about 5 minutes, is good to serve with the meatloaf.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Charene Whorton - CopperLanternCooking.com - 2008
















That meatloaf pan is cool! I actually make meatloaf a lot, more so in the winter, but I'm all about the glaze:) Yours looks yummy. I don't have a meatloaf pan, so I use a broiler pan:) More crunchy parts that way too!
ReplyDelete