Tuesday, November 26, 2013

FRESH CRANBERRY SAUCE


So, I've made my menus, I've done all the shopping and now I'm ready to get this show on the road! Our family dinner is going to be Friday this year, so I've got an extra day to prepare/wait...

I decided to take a look at what was on my menu that I could make ahead and there are a few things that may even taste better come Turkey Day if I make them now. 

First on the list of things to make ahead... Cranberry Sauce!!

I have never been a big fan, but we always had the lovely gelatinous glob on our table, the one with the ridges on it that everyone sliced off and put on their turkey... this just wasn't for me. 

So, a few years ago, I decided to make fresh cranberry sauce. How hard could it be really? 

I discovered that it was not very hard at all. In fact, it's one of the simplest things you'll ever make!! Then I ask, why doesn't everyone just make it fresh?? I will certainly never serve the canned stuff again, even if I still don't really eat it. My family loves it!! I do have a few bites of it, but I'd rather save my sugar addiction for the pies!! haha Actually, I'm all about the savory food. The turkey is really one of my favorite things. I also love sweet potatoes, just steamed. Pretty boring I know, but I live vicariously through everyone else as they enjoy the fruits of my labor with all of my creative cooking. I'm a creative cook and a simple eater. Now, wrap your head around that one... 

Anyhoo, this is my recipe for a super simple, fresh and delicious cranberry sauce. Once you have the fresh stuff, you'll never go back to canned!!

It's a one pot meal. I like to put mine in a deeper pot, so when the cranberries pop, they don't splatter sugary, red syrup on the stove. (trust me on this one, I learned the hard way)



Fresh Cranberry Sauce

Ingredients
1 bag (12oz) fresh cranberries (about 4 cups)
1 cup fresh orange juice or water
1 cup granulated sugar
Oranze zest from 1/2 orange

Directions
In a medium heavy pot, combine fresh orange juice with sugar. Heat and stir on medium heat, until sugar is completely dissolved.

Stir in fresh cranberries and zest. Cook down the cranberries (uncovered) on a low boil, until the cranberries pop and are cooked through (about 10-12 minutes). Remove from heat and let cool at room temp. The sauce will thicken as it cools. May be made 1-2 days ahead of time, if stored in airtight container in fridge.

I like to serve the cranberry sauce in smaller bowls so there is one at each end of the table. Cuts down on the passing food around and gets people the best part, which is eating, a little bit quicker. 

No comments:

Post a Comment