Thursday, September 29, 2011

PULLED PORK SANDWICHES

My husband loves pulled pork sandwiches. I like just about anything that resembles barbecue, so this is a perfect match! I love the spicy and sweet balance this has. It does take an entire day to make, but it's a throw it in the pot and forget about it kind of thing. That's the stuff I love! There are many variations to try. I just used what I had on hand. The jalapeno jelly could be raspberry or grape and the pineapple balsamic is a little rare, so regular balsamic is fine too. Here's my take on pulled pork sandwiches.





Everything you'll need to make yummy pulled pork.

Heat the oil and butter in a large skillet or heavy cast iron pot like this one.

I don't like the layer of fat on meat, so I always trim it off. I realize this might offend some and I'm sorry about that. You can leave it on yours if you like. I sear the meat on high heat on all sides.

While the sear is happening, I slice the garlic. I have a nifty tool for this from pampered chef. Also cut the onions.

Mmmm, all nice and toasty on all sides.

Now just start dumping everything in. I like to heavily pepper the pork before I dump everything on it.

Add the remaining ingredients. Cover and place in a 275 degree oven for 4-6 hours. Or put in a crock pot and forget about it for an entire day, 8 hours or so. Makes the house smell yummy!
Here's how it looked after cooking it for 4 hours on convection at 275.

You know it's tender when you try to pick it up and it just falls apart!

Remove the roast so you can tear it apart. I used 2 forks. It really felt apart on it's own.

I'd say it's pulled - apart.

Add the pulled pork back to the pan with the sauce.

Stir it around. It will absorb all the yummy sauce and be nice and juicy.
My favorite rolls for hot sandwiches. Mmmmm

Slice in half and butter each side.

Grill the inside until nice and brown and toasted.

Flip and grill the outside a little too. I don't want it to feel left out...

Add the pork.

Put the lid on and open wide! It's so good my husband said it didn't even need cheese. And that's saying something, he loves cheese! Enjoy!

Pulled Pork Sandwiches

Ingredients

  • 1T olive oil
  • 1T butter
  • 10 ounces jalapeno jelly (most jelly will work)
  • 3 lb boneless loin roast
  • 1/4 pineapple balsamic (or regular balsamic)
  • 1/3 cup prepared chili sauce
  • 2 T worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tsp kitchen bouquet browning sauce
  • 1 1/2 mexican hot chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp ground ancho pepper
  • 1/4 tsp allspice
  • 1 large onion chopped
  • 5 cloves of garlic, sliced or diced
  • 1/2 cup chicken stock
  • salt and pepper to taste


Directions
Heat the olive oil and butter in a heavy iron pot that will later go into the oven or a frying pan if you are using a slow cooker. Sear all sides of the roast. Add all of the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook at 275 degrees for 6 hours conventional, 4 hours on convection or 8 hours on low in a slow cooker.
When finished, remove roast from liquid, saving the liquid. Shred the pork with 2 forks or cut with a knife and add back to the liquid. Stir it up to cover all the meat with the cooking juices.
Butter rolls and grill to toast.
Add pork to the rolls and enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment