I am a lover of pasta and rice and especially love Risotto. I always order it in any restaurant as I never thought I could make it taste as good at home. Well, after years of making and tweaking a basic risotto recipe, this is what I make and it ALWAYS tastes incredible! Most of it is pretty simple, but reserve some time to babysit the risotto when it's time to start adding the stock, it takes some time, but well worth it. This is a family and friend favorite for sure! You could add shrimp, sausage, scallops or just about any type of protein that would pair well with white wine. I've imagined making this with beef and using a Cabernet, but have yet to get that far. Maybe one day...
Ingredients
- 5-6 cups Chicken Stock
-
1 T Olive Oil
-
2 med onions chopped
- 5 cloves garlic chopped
-
1/2 head of celery chopped
-
16-18 (2 cups or so) ounces of risotto
-
1/2 bottle dry white wine
-
5 T butter
-
1/2 cup of fresh grated parmesan
-
salt and pepper to taste
-
Optional: 1-1/2 pounds of chicken apple sausage or other type of meat.
Directions
Heat stock on a saucepan to use later. In large pan, heat oil and add
onions, garlic and celery. Saute for about 4 minutes or until nice and
soft. Add risotto and turn the heat up to med/high. Cook risotto while
stirring constantly until translucent, usually takes a couple of
minutes. You just have to keep it moving or it will burn. Once it is
translucent, add the wine while continuing to stir. It should sizzle and
steam quite nicely and smell yummy! If you are adding some type of
meat, add it after the wine. (Our favorite is Aidell's chicken apple sausage)
Once the risotto has absorbed all of the wine, start adding the stock,
one ladle at a time. Add stock, let it absorb, add more, let it absorb,
you get the idea. After you have added most of the stock, check for
doneness. It should mostly cooked and slightly firm. Add salt to taste
as well as pepper (I use white peppercorns in a grinder). Turn off the
heat, it's almost done.
Now for the very important part. The risotto needs to rest. However, it
can't rest alone. It needs butter and parmesan! Cut the butter into
tablespoon pads and lay on top and let it melt in. Then add the parmesan
on top to let it melt. Cover and let it rest. After about 5 minutes,
uncover and stir to incorporate all the butter and parmesan. Time to
serve and enjoy!!
No comments:
Post a Comment