I have to admit, I didn't think the words "BUTTERMILK" AND "PIE" should be in the same sentence together, let alone in a pie recipe. My husbands' family makes this pie and when we married, he kept trying to get me to try it. "No way!" Well, I'm sad that I missed out on a few years of not enjoying this pie. When I finally tried it, I couldn't believe how awesome it is! Why did I wait so long? It's lemon custardy goodness should never have been wasted. Fortunately, I finally tried it and I'm glad I did. We make this anytime we are making any kind of "Southern" food or shrimp boil, etc. It's always a hit. (As long as you don't mention "buttermilk" until AFTER the person has tried it...
BUTTERMILK PIE
Ingredients
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoon flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (I usually use extract)
Directions
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Make pie crust and do a bottom crust only in a 9" pie plate (or just buy a prepared one) and chill until ready to use. Combine sugar and flour. Add eggs, butter, buttermilk, vanilla and lemon juice or extract, blending well. Pour into prepared/chilled pie crust. Bake at 425 for 10 minutes, then, without opening the oven door, reduce heat to 350 degrees and continue baking for 35 minutes. The pie will not be totally firm when you remove it from the oven, but take it out anyway, it's done. It will firm up when cooling.
Cool completely before cutting.
Make pie crust and do a bottom crust only in a 9" pie plate (or just buy a prepared one) and chill until ready to use. Combine sugar and flour. Add eggs, butter, buttermilk, vanilla and lemon juice or extract, blending well. Pour into prepared/chilled pie crust. Bake at 425 for 10 minutes, then, without opening the oven door, reduce heat to 350 degrees and continue baking for 35 minutes. The pie will not be totally firm when you remove it from the oven, but take it out anyway, it's done. It will firm up when cooling.
Cool completely before cutting.

No comments:
Post a Comment