Monday, October 3, 2011

APPLE COBBLER CAKE

I'm not sure if there is anything that I love more than cake, except cobbler. I saw a Pioneer Woman show where she made a cake that she topped with raspberries, which I know my husband wouldn't eat, so I decided to alter the recipe for apples. I also added a few things to her basic recipe. I had some left over lemon cream cheese frosting that I topped it with in the end, but it's optional. I just love cream cheese frosting! The house still smells yummy while I'm writing this so I may have to take an occasional break to go and sneak a bite! Even though I took a ton of pictures, this is actually a very simple dessert to make. I hope you enjoy it!




Everything you'll need to make this yummy dessert.

Peel the apples. Mine are pretty sad. The grocery store had apparently been playing catch with these little guys. I had to do some trimming of the brown spots, but in the end, they were fine.

Quarter the apples and remove the core. Then toss them in lemon juice so they don't turn brown.

I like them bite size, so I sliced them, the cut them in half.

 This is a little trick I learned to do with a spice bottle that has a paper safety cap. Take a knife, cut it down the middle and remove one half. Then you have an easy way to measure your spice. Replace the grate on top with the holes over the open half and the shaker still works too. Saves time. yay!
Combine the cinnamon, sugar, apple pie spice and flour.


Pour over the apples.


Stir with a large spoon until all coated.

Don't these look delicious! I had to smack my hand to keep from eating them!


Cream the butter.


Add the milk and vanilla.
Mix the flour and sugar in a separate bowl.

Pour into the mixer.

Mix until all blended and creamy.

Pour into a pan that is about 13x9 in size.

spread it around evenly.
Then lick the spatula! The batter is so yummy and it doesn't have eggs, so live a little and lick away!!

Once you've finished licking the batter off of the spatula, spoon the apples over the batter. Even the liquid that is in the bottom of the bowl. Since it has a little flour, it will set up and be a caramelly goodness. Is caramelly a word?


Center of the oven at 350 degrees for an hour. This will make your house smell so good.

I checked on it while it was baking and the bubbling caramelly sauce looks yummy!

Fresh out of the oven and VERY hot.
Doesn't that look good?
This is optional. I had some frosting left over, so I thought it would go well with this. I'll put a link to the lemon cream cheese that I used. I put it in a piping bag so I could evenly distribute it. Otherwise, there would be spoonfuls of frosting in globs all over the cobber. Not that that's a bad thing, just not so pretty.


Make swirls or stripes or something nice with the frosting. If I had it my way, I'd take a knife and spread it over the whole thing, but that's a little overboard, so I piped on some pretty stripes.

Spoon it out on a plate or in a bowl with some vanilla ice cream and you're in for a treat of yummy apple delicousness!!  Is that a word? I'm on fire making stuff up today! Anyway, you know what I mean...
 
Apple Cobbler Cake

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/4 c + ½ cup sugar
  • 1 cup + 1tsp flour
  • 3/4 stick of butter (6T)
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 4 cups granny smith apples
  • 2 tsp lemon juice
  • 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp apple pie spice
  • Cream cheese frosting

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350°F
Make the cinnamon mixture by combining 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tsp apple pie spice, 1 tsp flour and 1 tsp cinnamon, set aside.
Peel and slice apples. Toss in lemon juice to keep from turning brown. Mix apples with cinnamon/sugar mixture.
Mix 1 1/4 cup flour and 1 cup flour in separate bowl. Set aside
In mixer, cream butter, then add vanilla and milk, then add flour mixture a little at a time until all incorporated.
Pour batter into 13x9 baking dish and spoon apples on top.
Bake at 350 for about an hour or until nice and brown.
Remove from oven and spread a thin layer of cream cheese frosting on top. (optional)
Spoon and serve warm as is or with vanilla ice cream. You can also sprinkle some walnuts on top for a little crunch. 

If you want to make the frosting, here is the link: Cream cheese frosting.  
I omit the vanilla and add 1 tsp lemon juice and 1 tsp lemon extract to make it LEMON cream cheese frosting. I'm sure the standard version would work great too!

No comments:

Post a Comment