Tuesday, October 18, 2011

PEANUT BUTTER AND MAPLE CHOCOLATE BALLS

I guess I'm revisiting my childhood lately. I've made Snickerdoodles and now these peanut butter balls. I started making these when I was in middle school in a 7th grade cooking class. I've tweaked it over the years and added a few things. I think now they are absolutely yummy. My husband says they taste just like Reese's peanut butter cups with a little crunch. Dipping in chocolate does take a little time, but you don't have to do all of them at once. Also, they can be frozen after they are done so you can save some for later!



Everything you need to make these yummy candies.

Mix together the peanut butter, melted butter, vanilla, sugar and dry milk.

Mix until smooth. Add the honey and syrup. Mix again.

Add cornflakes.

This is how it looks when finished. You can still see an occasional large corn flake, no worries, we'll smash these when rolling into balls.

Using a tablespoon or 1T scoop, scoop them out and roll into rounds in the palms of your hands.

Here's how they look, all nice and round.

Set them on a lined cookie sheet and place in the refrigerator to firm up for a few hours.

When you're ready to dip, melt the chocolate in a double boiler.

I transfer the chocolate to a bowl so it's taller and not so wide. I think it's easier this way.

Drop a PB ball into the chocolate, roll it around to get completely covered.

Scoop it up with a fork, I'm using a meat carving fork here, nothing fancy, but it works great. Tap the fork up and down on the side of the bowl and the excess chocolate will fall back into the bowl while smoothing out the chocolate on your candy.

Slide them off the fork onto a lined cookie sheet. Refrigerate again to firm them up.

Then get ready to enjoy some yummy goodness!!

Peanut Butter and Chocolate Balls
Charene Whorton 2011

Ingredients


  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 2 cups creamy peanut butter
  • 2 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 2 cups dry milk powder
  • 2 cups cornflakes cereal
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 15 ounces melting chocolate




Directions

Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil or waxed paper.

In a medium bowl or stand mixer, mix together the butter, peanut butter, vanilla, sugar and powdered milk until smooth. Mix in the maple syrup and honey, Mix in the cornflakes and mix until they are incorporated, some will still be in big pieces and that’s ok. Scoop out dough with a tablespoon or use a 1T ice cream scoop for uniform size. Roll between palms to make nice rounds. Place them onto the prepared cookie sheet, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. I try to refrigerate for 3-4 hours, but you can leave them overnight as well.

Once they are firmed up and cold in the refrigerator, it’s time to coat them with chocolate. In a double boiler, melt chocolates, stirring occasionally until smooth. Remove bowl from heat. Using a fork (if you don’t have a chocolate fork, use a meat carving forks with 2 large tines), dip the balls into the chocolate, cover them with chocolate, pick up on fork and tap on side of bowl to remove excess. Slide them off of fork onto the cookie sheet. Refrigerate until firm.  Then serve and enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment