Friday, October 7, 2011

DRUNKEN CHICKEN BURRICHILADA

What's a drunken Burrichilada? It's a sauced up burrito/enchilada! I couldn't think of a better way to describe it so I made up a name. My husband says, this is the best thing I've ever made, so that might give you an idea of how good this is. I made the enchilada sauce and spanish rice that I've posted separately, but I'm sure you could use other versions. I hope you enjoy this yummy dish!





Here's what you'll need. This also includes the enchilada sauce ingredients.

I use a pressure cooker for the chicken, it's the easiest, fastest way to go.

Chop the veggies.

Put the chicken and veggies in pressure cooker with the chicken stock.
After reaching full pressure, cook about 10 minutes. Depressurize under cold water. Here's how it looks cooked.
Remove the chicken and chop/cut/pull apart, whatever works. I'm using the pampered chef salad chopper here. Works great for shredding chicken and pork. I've actually never used it to chop salad.
Chicken all shredded.
Add some of the juice from cooking as well as onion and chili back to the chicken so it can soak it up.

I made enchilada sauce in advance. I will put a link to the recipe below. You can use any kind of enchilada sauce you like, this is my favorite, of course. 
I also made spanish rice in advance. I will link this recipe also, super easy.
Now let's assemble this masterpiece! Lay out the tortilla and put a row of chicken on it. I squeeze out a little of the juice if it's too juicy, don't want runny burritos...



Then add a row of spanish rice.

A topping of shredded cheese.

Roll it up. This is as fancy as my burrito roll gets. My excuse is that these tortillas are too small to tuck in the ends...

Place them into a baking dish.

Spoon over some enchilada sauce and make sure all of them are completely covered.

Almost done!

Cover with more cheese, more cheese is good. And put in the oven for about 20 minutes.
They will be VERY hot when you remove them. Get ready for a delicious meal!
Serve with a side salad or beans or all by themselves. It's all good!

I don't even know what to write for this picture, it just looks so yummy, I'm speechless. Enjoy!


 
Drunken Burrichilada
Print version
Charene Whorton 2011

Ingredients

1-2 cups enchilada sauce
1-2 cups spanish rice
1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 white or yellow onion chopped
1 green chili seeded and chopped
8 oz chicken stock
8-10 soft taco size flour tortillas
2-3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Sour cream and guacamole as optional toppings



Directions
Add chicken, chilies, onion and stock to a pressure cooker, turn up the heat and when at full pressure, cook for 10 minutes. Depressurize under cool water. Remove chicken, but keep broth in pan. Shred chicken in a bowl and ladle 2-3 scoops of broth back over the chicken. It will soak up all the juice.

Lay out flour tortilla, put a row of chicken down the middle. Then follow with another row of Spanish rice. Add some shredded cheese and roll it up like a burrito. Lay in a baking dish. Continue to roll up more until you’ve used all of the ingredients. Then cover it all in sauce and add extra cheese on top.

Place in a 350 degree oven until everything is nice and melted, about 15-20 minutes.

Remove from pan and serve with sour cream or guacamole and a side salad. This is a yummy dinner!

You can either make enchilada sauce and Spanish rice, or buy them prepared. I have recipes for both of them on my blog. 

Spanish Rice - Blog post- Print recipe
Enchilada Sauce - Blog post - Print recipe




1 comment:

  1. OMG, Charene. Arthur here. Before I saw this, tonight I created what I call a Burrichilada. No "drunken" part--but I like that! My ingredients were a bit different and I did get a good tuck on the flour tortillas. If you need bigger tortillas, ask for the "Burros" (as opposed to the smaller "burritos") at a local mexican market. Mine is without the chicken because I didn't have any. Here, in a nutschell, is what I created: Burrichiladas [BOO--ree-chee-LA-das] Burrito/Enchilada all in one. Made with toasted cut white corn, charred red bell pepper, kale, black beans, and a fresh spicy red and yellow onion tomato-cilantro salsa. Chile and onion flour tortillas filled and topped with Monterey Jack cheese. Garnished with soft fried plantain slices in a lime cinnamon butter sauce. Served with rings of chilled fresh naval oranges.
    There you have it. Your pictures are really GREAT! Arthur, cnewmoon1050@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete